Sunday, September 21, 2008

Do NOT Brake for crazy

i left the house tonight after 10 to avoid having to make some stops with the baby tomorrow...

after leaving the gas station, i saw a woman dressed casually, hair up in a pony tail, huge northface backpack stretching from the top of her shoulders to pass her rear end and pulling two suitcases on wheels.

i drove past and then immediately felt bad, because i wanted to stop and see if she needed a ride, some where i could take her maybe? She looked like she had just packed up her whole life and had no transportation but was determined to keep going. i thought that if someone was going to harass her - she didn't look well defended, especially lugging all those bags around. and it was late...
i called the hubby...
"Should i stop?"
"NO! That's not safe for you. Sorry to say that. But its sad when the world is like it is and you have to second guess helping someone.... But, you could stop to see if there is someone that you could call for her..."
i thought that sounded safe and if she was still on the road when i returned from another stop, i would check on her.

well she was there. i decided in order to NOT scare her i would turn the interior lights of the car on so she could see that i was alone and not meaning any harm...
let me go ahead and mention my "prep-work" before i actually stopped:
1) said a prayer. asking God to protect me and that at any point i felt strange or like something just isn't "right" that i would leave. (better safe than sorry)
2) remove pepper spray from purse. either to use or to give. i thought if she didn't have anyone to call i would at least leave her with a way to defend herself in the event that something happen to her.

... so i pull ahead of where she is so she can see me, i have the window down and I ask, "Is there someone that I could call for you? Are you okay?"
her reply: "DOES IT LOOK LIKE I NEED TO CALL SOMEONE?!!!!!"
me: "uh... i'm sorry, i thought you may be stranded and need some help."
her: "WHO SENT YOU?!!!!"
me: "no one sent me. i was just driving by and thought i could help if you needed it but..."
her: "I DON'T NEED ANY HELP, THANKS! GET THE $%&# AWAY FROM ME"
me: roll up window. drive away. (with an open mouth and a awkward laugh - in shock)


good grief.

so now i'm home.
and thinking...


maybe those bags were packed full with dead bodies...



nah


1 comment:

Leah said...

You crack me up! I love you & reading your blogs. I'm glad you are safely at home. And yes it is sad when we have to second guess our good intentions. Kiss that sweet baby girl for me.