Saturday, September 20, 2008

like a... what the @&#$ ?!? (sorry mom)

woah. (that was a joey lawrence "woah" by the way)

last night the hubby and i were watching the top 20 songs of the 80's on vh1.
classic.
it brought back a lot of memories, (because what? i was a whopping age of 10 in '89) as i totally had the permed hair*, wore jelly shoes, legwarmers, a jean jacket and loved to sing in the car - rockin' out with my sister. (*future blog posting)

When no. 8 was announced I immediately began to laugh out loud at the sheer and utter humiliation my poor mother must have felt.

Yes, when this song was released on November 12, 1984, I would've been a ripe age of 5, and Laura, the poor little mockingbird, was 2 years, 9 months, and 11 days old.

Now, I'm sure we didn't learn those lyrics immediately.
But it was soon enough.
And sing it? O yes, we did.
Out in public.

I never did understand why my mom was so adamant about us NOT singing that song...

She would give me the big eyes and say, "Jacie, DO NOT SING THAT SONG!"
"Why?" I would whine.
"Just because..." she would add with a roll of her eyes and her lips exhaling a slight sigh.


Yeah, how exactly would she explain that one to us?


Poor mom, two small children innocently singing, "like a virgin... touched for the very first time... like a viiiiir-ir-ir-ir-gin..."

Sorry, and i love you mom.

I can only imagine what public humiliation jeorgia will have me endure.

p.s what is up with a lion in this video?!!? my favorite part can be found at -1:27



VH1's 100 Greatest 80's Songs #20-1
1. Bon Jovi / "Livin' on a Prayer"
2. Def Leppard / "Pour Some Sugar On Me"
3. Duran Duran / "Hungry Like the Wolf"
4. Michael Jackson / "Billie Jean"
5. Prince / "When Doves Cry"
6. Hall & Oates / "I Can't Go For That (No Can Do)"
7. Guns N' Roses / "Sweet Child O' Mine"
8. Madonna / "Like a Virgin"
9. Run-D.M.C. / "Walk This Way"
10. AC/DC / "You Shook Me All Night Long"
11. Journey / "Don't Stop Believin'"
12. Whitney Houston / "How Will I Know"
13. U2 / "With Or Without You"
14. The Bangles / "Walk Like an Egyptian"
15. Van Halen / "Jump"
16. INXS / "Need You Tonight"
17. Whitesnake / "Here I Go Again"
18. Dexy's Midnight Runners / "Come On Eileen"
19. Cyndi Lauper / "Time after Time"
20. Rick Springfield / "Jessie's Girl"

1 comment:

Wyrtzens said...

every time you go away, you take a piece of meat with you.